Black Bean Chili with Cilantro Pesto
I add avocado to the topping with some sour cream.
Also, I use this same recipe and mix it with rice noodles.
My husband likes it for breakfast with scrambled eggs.
So, there are many things you can do with this recipe.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 ounces tomato paste (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (see note)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups water or low sodium/no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 2 cups thawed frozen kale
- 4 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium or no-salt-added black beans, drained
- 3/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup soft tofu
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Heat 2-3 tablespoons water or low sodium vegetable broth in a large pot and saute onions, celery and garlic until softened. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and water (or vegetable broth). Mix well, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Add kale and black beans and simmer for an additional twenty minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
To prepare cilantro pesto, place cilantro, pecans, tofu and lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, scraping down sides of container as necessary.
Serve chili with a dollop of cilantro pesto on top.
Posted on March 11, 2015, in Foods and tagged black bean, chili, cilanto, health, health and wellness, health benefits, healthy eating, healthy recipes, pesto, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.