Slow Cooker Beef Brisket Low Carb
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket and Vegetable Recipe for Low Carb Diet
Beef brisket is a meat staple in the US, particularly in Southern states. It is usually cooked in one of two ways – by braising, a long slow process of cooking the meat in liquid typically in a slow cooker or Dutch oven or on the BBQ also called smoking, a long slow process of dry cooking. The key to both is the “long slow” part, which breaks down the tough connective tissue in the beef, resulting in meat that is succulent, tender and flavorful. The Slow Cooker is most easily used for braised brisket, but if you use this recipe and you want to go for the drier type that is closer to a barbecue or smoked brisket, put all the vegetables on the bottom, as noted below. The meat will then sit on top instead of being submerged in the juices. The vegetables will be somewhat overcooked, but either way will be tasty from the broth.
One beef brisket, around 3½ to 4 lbs (you can ask your butcher to cut it in half if it’s too big)
1 tablespoon smoked or regular paprika
½ teaspoon chipotle powder if using regular paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne if using smoked paprika
1 tablespoon coriander or 2 teaspoons cumin (just depends on which flavor you like better)
2 teaspoons garam masala OR 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon allspice
1 and ½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 packets sugar substitute (Splenda or Truvia preferred)
1 medium onion, sliced
1 large or 2 small-medium celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into largish chunks (how to peel celery root)
2 large stalks of celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
¼ cup (4 tablespoons) tomato paste
¼ cup sugar-free ketchup
- Trim most of the fat off the brisket, but no need to be fanatical about it.
- Mix the spices and sweetener together and rub the meat on all sides with the mix. Refrigerate the meat for anywhere between and hour and a day, and take it out half an hour or so before cooking.
- Very lightly oil the bottom of the slow cooker, and add the onion, bay leaf, and garlic. If you want to raise the meat, also add the celery root and celery.
- Spread the tomato paste on the bottom of the meat – this would be the non-fat side. This is to keep the paste from scorching on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Put the meat on top of the vegetables of choice (fat side up), and add the rest of the vegetables to the top if you are braising.
- Cook for 9-11 hours on low.
- When the meat is tender, remove the meat and vegetables from the pot, and arrange on a platter. Stir the ketchup into the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasonings. You might want a touch more salt, spice, or sweetness.
Health and Wellness Associates
Posted on January 11, 2017, in Diets and Weight Loss, Foods, Uncategorized and tagged beef, health and wellness, healthy cooking, healthy eating, healthy lifestyle, healthy recipes, slow cooker, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.