Adding a variety of dried fruits, nuts, and spices to your whole-grain cereal is an easy way to incorporate whole grains and fiber to your morning meal. You can even prepare a large batch of dried muesli ahead of time and store it in a tightly sealed container so that you can always have a hot, nutritious breakfast ready to go!
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) of cinnamon
- 2 cups of old fashioned steel oats
- Half a cup of golden raisins
- Half a cup of red currants
- Half a cup of unsweetened flaked coconut
- One-quarter of a cup of almonds, slivered
- One-quarter of a cup of walnuts, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, currants, raisins, coconut, almonds, walnuts, and cinnamon.
- Stir ingredients until they’re well mixed. Store muesli in an airtight container. (It can be stored for several months.)
Combine half a cup of muesli with 1 cup of water and add a dash of vanilla, if desired. Microwave on high for three minutes. Top with half a tsp of ground flaxseed.
Bring 1 cup water to boil for each serving of muesli. Stir in muesli. Simmer three to five minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add vanilla, if desired and half a tsp of ground flaxseed per serving.
Nutrient analysis per half-cup serving of dry cereal:
Calories: 229; Total fat: 10 g; Sat fat: 3 g; Trans fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 0 mg; Carbohydrates: 33 g; Fiber: 7 g; Sugar: 12 g; proteins 6g
Health and Wellness Associates