Yoga for Mental Health
It is a well known fact that exercise is beneficial for stress relief, anxiety and depression, but yoga is one of the best. Yoga combines strength and flexibility exercises with meditation and relaxation…a winning combination if you’re fighting depression or anxiety.
5 Reasons to use Yoga for Mental Health
- Yoga slows down breathing and heart rates, which lowers blood pressure
- It has been proven that yoga helps to boost GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), which slows down brain activity, enabling you to relax. A one-hour session can increase GABA by 27% .
- Research indicates that regular use of yoga can lead to improved mood, reduced anxiety and anger reduction in people suffering from depression . One study found that one 12 minute yoga session daily, for 8 weeks, can reduce inflammation. Inflammation is a known risk factor for depression .
- Yoga raises the levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). This is a type of protein that stimulates the development of new brain cells.
- Yoga can improve memory and concentration. Doing just one 20 minute Hatha yoga session was shown to improve memory better than any other form of exercise.
Health and Wellness Associates
Dr. M Williams PhD Psy