4 Reasons You Should Eat Walnuts
A mainstay of any dietary recommendations, walnuts are an excellent choice when it comes to healthy snacking. Walnuts are good sources of:
- Omega-3 fatty acids, protective fats that may promote cardiovascular health, help maintain optimal cognitive function, and tone down inflammation.
- Heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Ellagic acid, an antioxidant compound that helps support a healthy immune system.
- L-arginine, an essential amino acid that promotes healthy blood pressure.
Try adding walnuts to your plain yogurt and fruit parfaits or steel cut oatmeal to start the day, eat them as a snack, and use walnut oil in salad dressings for a nutritional boost. Or try a Walnut Pesto recipe!
Basil Walnut Recipe
- 2 cups gently packed fresh basil leaves.
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped.
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 1/3 cup walnuts.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Lucini or Colavita.
Health and Wellness Associates