The Rolling Scones
Taste buds can’t get no satisfaction?
This old time, yet delicious, will get them rockin!
2 cups all-purpose flour (or use 2 cups Gluten-free baking mix)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup almond paste
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter (or vegan margarine)
1/3 cup lingonberry jam (found at European grocery stores or use leftover cranberry sauce)
1/3 cup heavy cream (or vegan creamer)
1 large egg (or add ¼ cup more of vegan creamer)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Sliced almonds to top
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Rub the butter and almond paste into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles small peas.
3. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, egg, and extracts. With a spatula, gradually stir the liquid ingredients until the mixture just starts to come together, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the liquid to brush the tops of the scones.
4. Divide the dough in half. Turn the both batches of dough out onto a lightly floured surface and very gently pat each into 8-inch rounds about ¾-inch thick.
5. Spread the lingonberry jam onto one round. Gently place the second round on top of the jam. Using a floured chef’s knife (or bench scraper), cut the dough round into 8 wedges. Transfer the wedges to the baking sheet, spacing the scones at least 1 inch apart. Lightly brush the tops of the scones with the reserved egg-cream mixture and sprinkle liberally with almonds.
5. Bake in the top third of the oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops are golden. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve warm.
Yields: 8 scones
-People Start to Heal The Moment They Are Heard-