Chipotle Lime Chicken Thighs With Pineapple Salsa Recipe
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are great for quick, flavorful meals. They are easy to prepare with little effort and are almost impossible to dry out. They take on any flavor well and are the perfect vehicle for fresh, healthy ingredients like fruits, vegetables, and herbs. To keep them on the healthier side, trim off visible fat before cooking. They will still stay plenty moist and flavorful!
Chipotle, garlic and lime add so much flavor with almost no effort in this recipe. A fresh pineapple salsa kicks up the flavor even more and makes this meal a fun and exciting change-up to your normal dinner routine.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or other high-heat oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Heat oven to 350F. Trim visible fat from chicken thighs.
- In a small bowl, combine chipotle powder, garlic, and cumin.
- Squeeze lime over the tops of chicken thighs and sprinkle heavily with the spice blend. Rub to coat the tops of thighs well.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet on the stove over high heat. Add oil and swirl skillet to coat.
- Sear chicken thighs in the skillet, about 2 minutes per side. Place skillet in the oven to finish cooking, 5 to 10 minutes. Chicken is done when a thermometer inserted in the center reads 165F.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the salsa. Combine red onion, pineapple, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime in a bowl.
- Once the chicken is done remove from oven and serve with pineapple salsa.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
You can use chicken breasts in place of thighs, but they will need to be pounded thin to ensure they cook thoroughly but do not dry out.
Cooking and Serving Tips
Use a meat thermometer to be sure chicken is cooked all the way through. You may also grill chicken thighs if you do not have an oven-proof skillet.
Serve these chicken thighs with black beans or brown rice and a green salad or grilled vegetables to round out the meal.