Creamy Southwest Chicken
Low carb chicken recipes are a must-have for many on low carb diets. This creamy chicken skillet dish is one you can have on the table in 20 minutes, from prep time to finished product, using canned green chiles and shredded cheese for enhanced flavor. This is also one of those dishes you can still serve to family members who may not be on the low carb diet you’re on. Just add their desired side dish, with your low carb options at the same time. The chiles are mild, so this isn’t a spicy dish, but it is a tasty one. Serve with refried beans and/or a salad and sliced avocado. To give it some heat and spice things up, add red pepper flakes or sriracha.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 1/4 cup onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4.5 ounce can green chiles (chopped)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cheddar (shredded, or jack cheese)
1) Heat large skillet with oil over medium heat.
2) Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Saute until brown on both sides, adding onions about halfway through.
3) Add garlic and cook for another minute.
4) If needed, deglaze the pan with a little water.
5) Add green chiles and cream, and simmer until chicken is done on both sides and the sauce is thickened.
6) Top with shredded cheddar or jack cheese, and serve when cheese melts.
Optional garnish: avocado slices or cilantro.
Suggested Additions: Add low carb veggies such as chopped broccoli or cauliflower to boost fiber; use feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes instead of cheddar or jack.
Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Chicken Recipe
In addition to pan frying this creamy chicken dish, as this recipe does, you can use the recipe in a slow cooker. By using the slow cooker, you can create this dish with less prep time. If you go the slow cooker route, you can forego chopping the chicken into small pieces and leave them whole.
Here’s how: Add all the ingredients, except the cheese, including chicken stock (1/2 cup), into the slow cooker. Top the ingredients with the chicken and finish with the salt and pepper to taste. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts, anywhere from 4.5 to 6 hours and your dish will be ready. As you serve the chicken, top with the shredded cheese. Quinoa noodles are a great relatively low carb supplement to add to the slow cooker version of this recipe.