HOLIDAY ALMOND COOKIES
Prep Time 15 min / Cook Time 10 min
2 large eggs, room temperature
20 drops red or green food coloring (optional)
1 cup sugar substitute
1 1⁄2 cups almond flour, ground from blanched almonds
1⁄8 teaspoon salt (pinch)
1 tablespoon butter softened to room temperature
24 pieces almond slices
1. Add the eggs to a bowl and whisk until frothy.
2. Then add the food coloring and sugar substitute and blend.
3. Next add the almond flour, salt and butter and mix well with a wooden spoon.
4. Place soft mixture on a 12 inch length sheet of Saran wrap and roll up like a burrito into a log about 8” long and twist the ends of the Saran wrap to close. Refrigerate overnight or freeze for about 1 hour until firm. (You can reshape the log after about 45 minutes of chilling into a more round shape if needed.)
5. Preheat oven to 375°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
6. Remove log from refrigerator or freezer and unwrap the Saran wrap. The dough will be very sticky so be sure to use a thin, sharp knife and work quickly to slice the dough into 24 even pieces with a constant back and forth slicing motion and place them evenly spaced on a sheet pan. (If they get out of shape just press them back into shape on the cookie sheet with your fingers.)
7. Top each raw cookie with a single almond slice, pressing it down about half way with your finger to make it stick and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown. Cool and serve or store on the counter in a covered container for up to 3 days.
Calories 90 / Fat 7g / Protein 3g / Fiber 1g / Net Carbs 3