Ten Foods That Can Kill Your Sex Drive
If you are planning a romantic dinner that will lead to an intimate rendezvous, experts advise to choose your menu wisely.
“Certain foods lower your libido or sex drive,” Dr. Jamie Turndorf, aka Dr. Love, a leading psychotherapist, media personality, and an expert on dialing up desire, tells Newsmax. “For example, if you are planning to go to dinner and a movie, skip the diet soda and popcorn. Diet soda containing aspartame blocks serotonin production and that crushes the sex drive in both men and women. The acid that lines popcorn bags in microwaved popcorn also trashes the sex drive and over time can create prostate issues which causes even more damage.” (Many theaters don’t microwave their popcorn, so apply this knowledge to snacks at home.)
According to The Daily Meal, in both men and women the hormone testosterone drives much of the human libido. Dr. Michael Hirt, founder of the Center for Integrative Medicine in California’s San Fernando Valley says, “Low testosterone means a lower sex drive.”
Here are some foods (and drinks) that lower your libido;
- Alcohol. Hirt says booze can seriously interfere with a man’s ability to perform. And it also does a double whammy by lowering your testosterone.
- Shrimp. That sexy shrimp cocktail may be the victim of pesticide spraying that disrupts hormones, says Turndorf. “Elevated estrogen levels destroy a woman’s sex drive and make men estrogen dominant rather than testosterone dominant, which will lower their libido.”
- Bottled water. According to The Daily Meal, the BPAs found in plastic bottles can seriously affect virility and fertility. BPAs are also present in reusable water bottles and can also cause erectile dysfunction.
- Canned soup. Most canned soups contain outrageous amounts of sodium, which can lead to elevated blood pressure and diminished blood flow to the organs, including the penis.
- Deli meats. Sliced meat from your favorite deli may come packaged in PVC, or polyvinyl chloride. The meat may absorb the PVC, which causes undesirable hormonal changes.
- Weed. Smoke or eat marijuana and say “sayonara” to sex, says Turndorf. Testosterone levels tank for up to 24 hours after marijuana use or consumption.
- Soy products. Munching on trendy edamame beans or other soy-based products that are genetically modified can lower estrogen levels in women and sperm counts in men.
- Fried foods. The hydrogenated oils used to fry many foods may lower testosterone levels, says The Daily Meal.
- Red Meats. According to Cosmopolitan, some red meats contain added hormones or antibiotics which can unbalance a man’s natural hormones levels if eaten in large quantities.
- Mints. Surprisingly, the menthol in mints tends to lower testosterone, which in turn lowers the sex drive.